Computer Vision Scientist
Our mission is to understand the Earth, including all of the economic and social trends impacting us. We use computer vision, deep learning and statistical machine learning to extract useful patterns that occur over time and present this information in a manner that is both valuable and easily understandable. To do that we are building the best computer vision team in the world for large scale automated analysis of satellite and aerial imagery.
To support this work, we need creative and expert researchers who are not afraid of tackling new computer vision problems. Our scientists and engineers have a true passion for data and a commitment to build for today and invent for tomorrow. We are actively engaged with the AI research community, frequently attending both local talks and global conferences and encouraging team members to publish their work. If you join us, you’ll have the freedom to approach, own, and solve problems creatively.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous “Blue Marble” from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact, it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at this scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
- Develop highly scalable machine learning and computer vision models for processing large quantities of high-resolution satellite imagery and other remote sensing data
- Rapidly iterate algorithms to improve performance and generalization to new data
- Engage in fundamental research in relevant areas of machine learning and computer vision, such as semi-supervised, unsupervised, transfer and active learning.
- Stay current on the latest ML/CV research by reviewing papers and implementing state-of-the-art concepts
- Work cross-functionally with data ops and core engineers to establish data requirements and metrics for computer vision algorithms
- Implement and test software utilities for internal computer vision research as well as deploying computer vision models as part of the product
- Collaborate with end-user product owners to understand computer vision needs
- Support build deployment, management, and monitoring systems
Skills & Qualifications (required)
- Academic degree (BS required, MS and PhD preferred) in computer science or other quantitative discipline
- Demonstrated ability to create, invent, and innovate
- Solid understanding of current deep learning-based computer vision techniques
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced research environment
- Ability to effectively communicate results and ideas via presentations and technical reports
- Solid programming skills in Python and strong algorithmic thinking
Skills & Qualifications (preferred)
- Strong background in statistical machine learning
- Understanding of statistical inference (e.g., Bayesian modeling, MCMC)
- Experience working with remote sensing data such as EO, SAR, Hyperspectral, or Lidar
- Understanding of fundamental concepts of signal/image processing: Fourier techniques, filtering, etc.
- World-class foosball skills
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
– Stock Options
– Competitive Salaries
– Paid time off
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
– Life & disability coverage
– Flexible Spending Accounts
– Apple equipment
– Weekly catered lunches
– Weekly happy hour in office
– Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, coffee, tea, etc.
– MBTA commuter benefits
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now