Data Scientist – Public Sector
In order to take our government business to the next level we are looking to hire a Data Scientist to join our Public Sector team. The Data Scientist – Public Sector will work on developing, adapting, and extending our commercial software products to fit the needs of our government customers.
At Orbital Insight, we work in cross-functional Agile teams, exploring how geospatial data, data science, AI/deep learning, computer vision, and intimacy with user needs can create entirely new products that give novel insights about what we are doing on and to the earth. Our pioneering products help people answer questions that cannot be answered today.
If you had a “Macroscope” that could survey the entire earth every day what would you look at with it? … New construction in China? Fracking in Texas? Deforestation in Indonesia? New island construction in the South China Sea? When the US economy hits an inflection point in an economic cycle what moves first? New home sales? Mall shopping? Hours worked at the nation’s factories? … What if you could see the entire earth every day and track all of these factors in near real time?
As a member of our technical staff, you’ll be working on our cloud-based systems that ingest a wide variety of data, run advanced machine learning algorithms on that data, use data science techniques to discover trends and detect anomalies, and allow users to ask questions and get answers – and do it all at scale with ever-increasing amounts of data.
If all this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to meet you.
This position will be based in our Arlington, Virginia office but may require some work at customer sites in the DC area. Occasional travel to corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, California may be required.
This position requires an active TS/SCI clearance.
- Lead or assist in the development, application, and evaluation of data science technologies for our public sector customers, and translate product, engineering, and business constraints and queries into tractable data science questions
- Participate in one or more agile development teams within the public sector group, representing requirements, development, and best practices for data science algorithms
- Act as the public sector group’s advocate within the company’s data science team
- Be a mentor for all things Data Science to other engineers within the public sector group
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Current TS/SCI clearance required
- 3+ years of experience in developing data science algorithms and performing large-scale data analytics
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field
- Experience developing in Linux/Unix environments
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills; Ability to work closely with remote teams
- Experience with multiple languages, especially Python, R, Matlab, SQL
- Experience with a range of data science techniques, including regression, classification, clustering, time series analysis, etc.
- Experience with AWS and big data tools such as Hadoop, Spark, and Map/Reduce
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Experience in commercial, start-up environments
- Experience working directly with US government customers
- Familiarity with continuous integration, continuous deployment, and automated testing
Orbital Insight is a fast-growing provider of geospatial data and geo-analytic services to commercial, nonprofit and public sector clients across the globe. Leveraging advancements in computer vision and cloud computing, Orbital Insight is turning millions of images into a big picture understanding of the world that is quantitatively grounded in observation, creating unprecedented transparency, and empowering global decision makers with new sources of objective, quantified socio-economic insights.
Backed by marquee investors such as GV (formerly Google Ventures), Sequoia Capital, In-Q-Tel and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now