Director of Data Operations
Data Operations at Orbital Insight is what provides the underpinnings of our data quality. The Data Operations team is primarily responsible for generation and quality control of (annotated) input data at large scale, whether for direct use in our products or for OI’s computer vision and data science teams to train and test their models on.
Orbital Insight is on a mission to map and monitor the global economy, which starts with characterizing every company’s assets, ensuring the accuracy and recency of this data, and making it available to the rest of the organization. We are looking for a data operations leader who will head a team responsible for this ongoing operational effort, developing processes, tools and working with remote third-party teams to deliver this data at-scale and at a high quality. You are someone who can partner with engineering, computer vision, data science and product managers to support ongoing product development and innovation at OI.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
- Responsible for developing the necessary processes, quality acceptance criteria, tools and talent to continually deliver high-quality input data for OI’s products
- Establish strong bonds with both technical and business leaders across the company
- Develop and continuously refine data management vision and roadmap (both functional and technical), aligning to business objectives
- Create staff development plans to align with organizational and departmental vision
- Build a high performing team, foster open communication, transparency, highest level of integrity, trust & collaboration within & across the departments
- Ensure that programs, initiatives & projects are delivered on-time and within budget
- Collaborate with the Finance team to lead technology department budgeting and forecasting
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management and non-technical leaders
Skills & Qualifications:
- Passionate about data, what it means in a business context, how to best represent it, how it is used by our products and how to assess its quality
- 5+ years experience building, developing, and managing (cross)-functional teams
- 5+ years experience managing data production, establishing scalable workflows and tools, and setting quality acceptance criteria
- 3+ years experience selecting, training and managing remote outsourcing teams who successfully contribute to the company’s goal
- Proven experience delivering large, cross-functional, projects
- Strong communication skills and ability to manage multiple business priorities while still holding quality paramount
- Knowledge of Python and SQL, with a solid understanding of databases, and ETL experience.
- Knowledge of how to work with engineering teams to specify and refine tools that support the Data Operations function
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
Orbital Insight is a company on a mission: to help people understand what is happening on and to Earth, in order to accelerate economic, environmental, and humanitarian progress. We are a fast-growing provider of geospatial data and geo-analytic services to commercial, nonprofit and public-sector clients around the globe. Leveraging advancements in computer vision and cloud computing, Orbital Insight is turning millions of images into a big picture understanding of the world that is quantitatively grounded in observation, creating unprecedented transparency, and empowering global decision makers with new sources of objective, quantified socio-economic insights.
We are recognized world-wide for our innovations. Forbes named us a Next Billion Dollar Startup, and Fortune Magazine named us one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World, two years in a row, in two different categories. In order to see tiny details and yet work at Earth scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. And this is just a part of our mission to understand what’s happening on and to the Earth.
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta. Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
A few of our perks…
● Stock Options
● Competitive salary
● Paid Time Off
● Medical, dental, and vision insurance
● Life & disability coverage
● 401(k) program
● Flexible Spending Accounts
● Apple equipment
● Twice a week catered lunches
● Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, coffee, tea, etc
● Easy commute via nearby Caltrain station, and free commuter Go Pass
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now