Director of Software Engineering
If you had a ‘Macroscope’ that could survey the entire earth every day what would you look at with it? New construction in China? Fracking in Texas? Deforestation in Indonesia? New island construction in the South China Sea? Early movers at US economy inflection points? New home sales? Mall shopping? Hours worked at the nation’s factories? What if you could see the entire Earth every day and track all of these factors in near real time? Imagine the products you could build!
Orbital Insight is seeking a Director of Engineering to own and drive development of products that leverage geospatial data, data science, AI/deep learning, and computer vision to give novel insights about what we are doing on and to the earth. You will be working with some of hottest technologies to deliver products that are literally forging new markets.
This position will be based in our Palo Alto, CA office.
Who You Are:
- You are a strong technical leader with the ability to motivate and drive talented, creative technical teams
- You relish the opportunity to dive into technical discussions to deeply understand and influence the decision making process
- You help to create and drive scalable system architecture and the overall technical roadmap
- You are equally comfortable collaborating with product and business teams to plan and execute deliverables
- Your diligence in holding yourself and your teams to architectural and product milestones has led to an impeccable track record of consistent product delivery
- You are passionate about people and innovation
- You excel at giving and receiving feedback
- You have a passion for helping others succeed
Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience as technical lead/product architect of SaaS products
- 3+ years of experience managing managers and overall teams sizes of 20 or more
- Experience managing large and complex projects the success of which will have significant impact on the company
- Ability to ensure overall code quality and drive software engineering and quality best practices
- Strong background in agile methodologies and ability to mentor others in their use
- Experience with machine learning, data science and data products strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (physics, mathematics, bioinformatics, computer science, operations research, etc.)
Orbital Insight is a company on a mission: to help people understand what is happening on and to Earth, in order to accelerate economic, environmental, and humanitarian progress. We are a fast-growing provider of geospatial data and geo-analytic services to commercial, nonprofit and public-sector clients around the globe. Leveraging advancements in computer vision and cloud computing, Orbital Insight is turning millions of images into a big picture understanding of the world that is quantitatively grounded in observation, creating unprecedented transparency, and empowering global decision makers with new sources of objective, quantified socio-economic insights.
We are recognized world-wide for our innovations. Forbes named us a Next Billion Dollar Startup, and Fortune Magazine named us one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World, two years in a row, in two different categories. In order to see tiny details and yet work at Earth scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we we are able to bring transparency to countries across the globe & offer capabilities that currently don’t exist in the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. And this is just a part of our mission to understand what’s happening on and to the Earth.
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta. Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now