Manager, Data Science
Data Science at Orbital Insight is what enables our customers to understand the data, and the value therein, that OI generates every day. Data-driven decisions and experimentation are central to OI’s product development. We are looking for a data science leader who can partner with engineering, computer vision, and product managers to support ongoing product development and innovation at OI.
Your team of data scientists will directly interact with product managers and engineering to identify opportunities to enhance or add to our products. You will have the opportunity to lead and grow a team of world class data scientists.
This position will be based in our Palo Alto, CA office.
- Build a high performing team of data scientists, and provide strong mentorship to effectively strengthen the team members’ capabilities
- Utilize your proven deep understanding of advanced quantitative analyses including regression, classification, clustering, time series analysis, and machine learning techniques to improve OI products.
- Act as a technical leader who can guide a team at a high level by challenging assumptions, and can provide critical feedback on approaches, methodologies, model selection, and data /model interpretations
- Communicate complex data science concepts, as well as insights and findings from analyses and experiments, to product management, engineering teams and business management, and contribute to creating and measuring the effectiveness of our products
- Establish strong partnerships with different departments across the company
Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of successfully building and managing Data Science teams of 5 – 10 people in size
- Proven experience of working with big, messy, noisy data in real world production. environments, as well as with cloud computing (AWS). Experience with mobile device location data would be a big plus
- Strong coding experience (e.g. SQL, Python, R/Matlab, Scala) and familiarity with commonly used databases
- Experience with big data technologies (i.e. Spark/MapReduce/Hadoop/Pig, etc…) and large scale data pipelines is a plus
Orbital Insight is a company on a mission: to help people understand what is happening on and to Earth, in order to accelerate economic, environmental, and humanitarian progress. We are a fast-growing provider of geospatial data and geo-analytic services to commercial, nonprofit and public-sector clients around the globe. Leveraging advancements in computer vision and cloud computing, Orbital Insight is turning millions of images into a big picture understanding of the world that is quantitatively grounded in observation, creating unprecedented transparency, and empowering global decision makers with new sources of objective, quantified socio-economic insights.
We are recognized world-wide for our innovations. Forbes named us a Next Billion Dollar Startup, and Fortune Magazine named us one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World, two years in a row, in two different categories. In order to see tiny details and yet work at Earth scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we we are able to bring transparency to countries across the globe & offer capabilities that currently don’t exist in the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. And this is just a part of our mission to understand what’s happening on and to the Earth.
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta. Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now