Quality Assurance Engineer
Orbital Insight is looking for a talented software Quality Assurance Engineer. We need your help to deliver cutting-edge new geospatial analytics products that will inspire and delight our customers. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic software engineer in test, with experience working on SaaS applications that leverage data analytics technologies. You must have a great attitude, be keen to learn new technology and be able to work independently. You will also possess excellent communication skills, have a methodical testing process and pay close attention to detail.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous “Blue Marble” from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we we are able to bring transparency to countries across the globe & offer capabilities that currently don’t exist in the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
- Work with Engineering, Data Science, Computer Vision, Data Operations, DevOps and Front End teams to ensure products are released with the highest of quality.
- Assist in setting up the QA process, establish quality standards, and drive continuous improvement.
- Create detailed, comprehensive and well-structured end-to-end test plans and test cases.
- Execute acceptance tests against release candidate software, in accordance with the test plan.
- Work with the development engineers to identify and implement software and analytics algorithms to automate execution of the test plans.
- Periodically review specifications and test plans, identifying gaps in coverage and supplementing with new test cases.
- Stay up-to-date with new testing tools and test strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in CS, Data Science or related discipline.
- 5+ years’ experience working in software quality or development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience creating, automating & executing test plans, and working with engineering teams to identify root cause and resolve issues.
- Experience building automated test suites and working with automation frameworks and tools.
- Experience with test case management systems.
- Experience working with Data Products where quality is heavily dependent upon results of data science results.
- Experience with or exposure to financial analytics and modeling a plus.
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
– Stock Options
– Competitive Salaries
– Paid Time Off
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
– Life & disability coverage
– Flexible Spending Accounts
– Apple equipment
– Twice a week catered lunches
– Monthly happy hour in office
– Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, coffee, tea, etc.
– Easy commute via Caltrain, with company sponsored Go Pass
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now