Senior Computer Vision Engineer
Our mission is to understand the Earth, including all of the economic and social trends impacting us. To do that we are building the best computer vision team in the world for large scale automated analysis of satellite and aerial imagery.
To support this work we need creative and expert engineers who are not afraid of taking on computer vision problems that have never been tried before. They must be familiar with a broad range of techniques and able to research and utilize the best methods to complete the task. We also need them to never stop improving both the coverage and accuracy of the objects and kinds of land use that we can recognize.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous “Blue Marble” from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
- Design and implement highly scalable computer vision algorithms
- Rapidly iterate algorithms to continuously improve precision and recall under a variety of conditions
- Collaborate with end-user product owners to understand computer vision needs
- Design and implement test methodologies for testing and accuracy assessment
- Support build deployment, management, and monitoring systems
- Provide production support for applications and infrastructure
Skills & Qualifications
- MS or PhD Degree in computer science or related discipline
- 5+ years experience in computer vision, machine learning, and/or image processing (industry experience is a plus)
- Solid software engineering skills (python is a plus)
- Expertise in deep learning, including semantic segmentation, object detection, and image classification is a plus
- Experience with cloud computing (AWS or similar) is a plus
- Experience with automated analysis of satellite, aerial, or multispectral imagery is a plus
- USG Security Clearance preferred, but not required
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
– Stock Options
– Competitive Salaries
– Discretionary Time Off
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
– Life & disability coverage
– Flexible Spending Accounts
– Apple equipment
– 3x/week catered lunches
– Monthly happy hour in office
– Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, coffee, tea, etc.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now