Senior Site Reliability Engineer
The Orbital Insight Senior Site Reliability Engineer serves as the bridge between the various software development teams, pushing the state of the art and taking projects from prototype to production-ready, while building and maintaining innovative and scalable solutions using the latest open source technologies. The role includes facilitating the continuous code deployment, automated resource provisioning and scaling, security control, monitoring & troubleshooting.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous “Blue Marble” from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
- Build and maintain Orbital Insight’s operating environment
- Ensure Web and API services are running within a predefined SLA
- Build and maintain multiple clusters of Kubernetes & Docker services
- Build and maintain monitoring systems to track and alert on all anomalies
- Ensure adequate security of the environment and all resources
- Build and maintain automated continuous integration with automated testing
- Collaborate with engineering to troubleshoot and deploy new services
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- Experience in Cloud Operations, especially Amazon AWS cloud
- Experience with automation/configuration management including Puppet
- Experience in coding and scripting (Python, Go, bash)
- 4+ years of Cloud/Development Operations experience
Nice To Have:
- Experience in Security, Networks & Systems (Unix, Linux, Mac)
- Experience working in a fast paced startup environment
- Experience in Jenkins Continuous Integration, Build, Release and Deployment
- Experience with Nagios, Graphite, Grafana, Prometheus, Logstash
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now