Senior Software Engineer
Be in the middle of everything … and the only one who actually knows how it all works.
You’re in the core, the middle, the center. All roads go via you. Whatever it is they want, it requires you. You have deep experience using Python and varied open source packages to build serious cloud computing pipelines. We ingest many kinds of geospatial data and then we dice, slice, stretch, rotate, and combine them. We use deep learning to turn the pixels into numbers. We model, aggregate, transform the numbers into meaningful insights. This entire pipeline is formulated, created, monitored, and managed by you. Experience working at scale is pretty darned important.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous “Blue Marble” from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
This position is based in Boston, MA.
- Define algorithms for image ingestion, re-projection, tiling, normalization, spatial intersection, and other initial processing to deal with the complexity of satellite imagery
- Design and optimize databases (whether elasticsearch, PostGIS, or even AWS) that handle the petabytes of imagery and other data acquired and utilized by Orbital Insight
- Build APIs and automate complex geospatial requests to expand the offerings of our platform
- Architect and maintain microservices in AWS and other environments for ingesting images from satellite/UAV operators and processing them in the cloud at scale
- Work with computer vision and data science teams to incorporate multispectral image and data analysis algorithms into our products
- Collaborate with the UI team to ensure that APIs are designed and formatted with enough flexibility to service front end needs
- Provide technical mentorship to junior level engineers
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- 4+ years of post-education work experience with Python or similar language
- Extensive experience working with and designing large scale systems, data structures, and algorithms
- Experience ingesting and managing data at the petabyte scale is a plus
- Familiarity with the following tech stack is preferred: AWS, PostGIS, Elasticsearch, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, Microservices, Redis
- Knowledge of the following Python packages is a major plus: Flask, Aiohttp, GDAL
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
– Stock Options
– Competitive Salaries
– Paid time off
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
– Life & disability coverage
– Flexible Spending Accounts
– Apple equipment
– Weekly catered lunches
– Weekly happy hour in office
– Vibrant office in downtown Boston with walking access to all MBTA train lines
– Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, coffee, tea, etc.
– Regular foosball tournaments 🙂
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now