Senior User Experience Designer
Do you find data visualization and applying computer vision to the earth fascinating? Are you excited about helping people understand what‘s happening on and to Earth, in order to accelerate economic, humanitarian, and economic progress? How about designing tools and experiences that allow people to explore the world by creating new insights from raw data about the Earth and the objects on it?
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to meet you —maybe you’ll become the founding member of our design team. The Orbital Insight development teams work in cross-functional Agile teams, exploring how AI Deep Learning and Computer Vision techniques can create entirely new insights about the earth. Our products and tools help people can find answers to their questions that cannot be found in existing tools and techniques.
We’re looking for designers skilled at rapid iteration and excited about solving problems in a field that’s so new, it’s equal parts ambiguity and ingenuity. Most importantly, you’ll be truly partnering with engineers, computer vision researchers, and data scientists, to make a useful and powerful product line even better.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
Some of the things you’ll be doing include …
- Working directly with engineers, product managers, and customers, from beginning to end. There are no hand-offs here.
- Fostering a healthy design practice by giving and receiving feedback with maturity and perspective.
- Working together as we coach, mentor and grow each other.
- Defining, implementing, and coaching our team on best practices and common-sense process for designing ahead of implementation. Always looking for even better ways to define and improve the practices of our design and development team: define, apply, and improve and involve people in our craft. Where should we go next?
- Creating experiences that feel simple and straightforward, even when the data is not.
- Turning complex and technical concepts into easy to understand tools.
- Crafting scenarios, user flows, wireframes, and working prototypes that clearly communicate design intent to everyone, engineers and customers alike.
Who you are…
- Educated. Bachelors or higher degree in User Experience related field (UX design, HCI, Graphic design).
- Experienced. 5-8+ years of UX/visual/other applicable design experience, which may include work as a UX designer, UX architect, creative director, or industrial designer. Strong understanding of the design process and best practices, and proven ability to define and improve a team’s design practices.
- Performer. A rich portfolio of design work demonstrating user experiences including web and mobile apps, and track record of delivering products to market.
- Domain. Experience with data visualization, software development and/or designing multi-system products and services are a big plus.
- A True Team Player. A team player, flexible and open while designing, discussing, and presenting your work.
- Results-Oriented. You work fast and generate a wide variety of high-quality solutions.
- Energy and Creativity. A passion for learning, sharing and collaboration: new design tools and processes, new technical areas, better ways to get things done.
- You are a Recruiter! We are building a great company and, in this role, you will be asked to be on the constant lookout for the best talent to bring on board to help us continue to build one of the best companies in the world!
Who we are…
Orbital Insight is a company on a mission, to help people understand what‘s happening on and to Earth, in order to accelerate economic, environmental, and humanitarian progress.
We are a fast-growing provider of geospatial data and geo-analytic services to commercial, nonprofit and public sector clients across the globe. Leveraging advancements in computer vision and cloud computing, Orbital Insight is turning millions of images into a big picture understanding of the world that is quantitatively grounded in observation, creating unprecedented transparency, and empowering global decision makers with new sources of objective, quantified socio-economic insights.
We are recognized world-wide for our innovations. Forbes named us a Next Billion Dollar Startup, and Fortune Magazine named us one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World, two years in a row, in two different categories. In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
– Stock Options
– Competitive salary
– Paid Time Off
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
– Life & disability coverage
– 401(k) program
– Flexible Spending Accounts
– Apple equipment
– Twice a week catered lunches
– Monthly happy hour in office
– Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, coffee, tea, etc
– Easy commute via nearby Caltrain station, and free commuter Go Pass