Software Engineer – Front End
Join our Front-End team, responsible for all our customers’ online interactions with our products.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous “Blue Marble” from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
- Assist Data Science, Machine Vision, and Core Engineering teams in building visualization tools for internal use
- Contribute to our ever-growing library of web UI patterns, which we share across products, internal prototypes, and tools
- Explore and implement prototypes and products using the latest tools and technologies
Skills & Qualifications
- BS degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent software engineering experience
- 3+ years experience in web application development
- A solid understanding of the design and use of RESTful domain-specific APIs
- Familiarity with creating bespoke visualizations in the browser using D3, or reactively rendered SVG
- Ability to use CSS3 to achieve responsive layouts and consistent look-and-feel across an entire web application
- Demonstrated ability to write, test, and maintain production code, running both server-side and in the browser
- Preferred: Experience working in an Agile environment with Continuous Integration and Deployment
- Preferred: Experience designing products using maps, satellite images or other geospatial datasets
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
– Stock Options
– Competitive Salaries
– Paid time off
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
– Life & disability coverage
– Flexible Spending Accounts
– Apple equipment
– Twice a week catered lunches
– Monthly happy hour in office
– Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, coffee, tea, etc.
– Easy commute via Caltrain, with company sponsored Go Pass
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now