Solutions Engineer – Public Sector
Orbital Insight, Inc. is currently seeking an engineer to join our Public Sector team. In this role, you will be expected to support our clients with the aim of enhancing the product development cycle. You will help Orbital Insight best deploy its technology for Public Sector customers.
In this role, you will be responsible for the deployment, management and development of our technical architecture in support of Public Sector customers. Responsibilities will also include the implementation of new and extension of existing software analytics products that ingest satellite images and other geospatial data at terabyte scale, apply machine learning/machine vision algorithms on them to generate domain features, and use these features to create predictive models.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous “Blue Marble” from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
This position will be based in our Washington, D.C. office.
- Collaborate with customers, business development and Orbital Insight product owners to understand and support customers’ needs
- Perform software development in any of the product areas as needed
- Experience with large-scale analysis of satellite imagery a major plus
- Experience with automated analysis of satellite or aerial images a plus
- Professional experience within one or more target agencies preferred
Skills & Qualifications
- Experience with technologies/Tools: Python, GO, Git, Jenkins, Docker, Puppet, Redis, Splunk, Graphite, Nagios, etc.
- Experience with AWS technologies such as EC2, ELB, EBS, RDS, REDIS, S3, IAM, Route53, etc.
- Database management experience (Postgres and/or MySQL)
- Experience in both software engineering and cloud-based ops – having previously been in a DevOps, Site Reliability Engineer, or Operations Engineer role
- Experience building, delivering and maintaining software applications on Amazon Web Services Marketplace
- Experience with software packages, deployment and yum repositories
- MS or PhD Degree in computer science or related discipline
- Security Clearance: TS/SCI – Required
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
– Stock Options
– Competitive Salaries
– Paid time off
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
– Life & disability coverage
– Flexible Spending Accounts
– Apple equipment
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now