Orbital Insight, Inc. is seeking a highly motivated, passionate, and forward thinking Sales Engineer to join our Japan Sales Team and provide precision focus in quickly building and growing our Japan business.
In this role, you will be expected to educate, support and seek out feedback from clients with the aim of enhancing Orbital Insight product development and sales cycles.
To succeed in this role you will need to be entrepreneurial and client focused with a background in data analysis. You should be comfortable managing the expectations of prospects and clients across multiple verticals such as Infrastructure, Energy, Insurance, Finance, Government, etc. You must be capable of working within a highly motivated team to drive business forward as you will be working closely with all facets of the organization- in particular Sales, Engineering, Development and Product Management.
The world is a very big place. With a single photograph of Earth, like the famous “Blue Marble” from Apollo 17, the entire world can fit on a computer screen. However, with this image you would not be able to see much detail. To see the Earth and all of its rich features, you would need a lot more images. In fact it would take over 500 million images just to observe the land area of Earth at 1 meter pixel resolution.
In order to see detail and work at scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. This is still the beginning of our mission to understand the Earth.
This position will be based out of the Tokyo office (to be established in the coming months) and report to the Japan General Manager.
- Engage clients to discuss our data solutions, distill their needs and drive the feedback discovery process to contribute to product development
- Leverage deep understanding of both our data and how it is often consumed to educate our clients on how they can best deploy our data to fit their needs
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of sales materials to deliver to clients to support the engagement and education process.
- Mine our data for value by creating and publishing “insights” and other research-like analyses
- Quantitative sales support
Skills & Qualifications
- 1-3 years of experience working in Japan or with Japanese companies
- Fluency in Japanese
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM or data-heavy discipline such as economics, statistics, etc. encouraged
- Professional experience drawing conclusions from data to aid decision making or consuming data in a commercial setting
- Strong research and data analysis skills, meticulousness and attention to detail are required
- Strong capabilities in excel, Python, R, or other data-analysis software desired
- Sales experience is a plus
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta with Geodesic Capital and Japan’s ITOCHU Corporation participating in the recent Series C funding round with plans to help grow the business in Japan. Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Orbital Insight does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any person or email address at Orbital Insight prior to obtaining a signed agreement from Recruiting/HR. Orbital Insight is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Orbital Insight and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.Apply Now