Solutions Engineering Intern, Public sector – Summer 2020
Are you interested in helping build a high-growth tech startup? Orbital Insight is currently seeking an intern to join our Solutions Engineering team in the Washington, DC area. In this role, you will be embedded within a team whose focus is to support our clients with the aim of enhancing the product development cycle.
Orbital Insight is turning millions of images into a big picture understanding of the world using computer vision, artificial intelligence, and cloud computing. We leverage the rapidly growing availability of satellite, UAV, and other geospatial data sources to understand socio-economic and geopolitical trends at global, regional, and hyper-local scales. Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies to government agencies and humanitarian organizations, each benefitting from insights we provide at a depth and scale previously unimaginable.
Solutions Engineering is a fast-paced job that requires our team to rapidly respond to client requests in order to build, evaluate, and ultimately sell new data sets that solve client problems. Orbital Insight supports a broad range of public sector and commercial partners, from financial services to government agencies to international organizations, which means that a prospective intern candidate should have the ability to quickly get up to speed on a subject matter and be comfortable switching across multiple verticals. This role will support the Public Sector team with a focus on government issues and foreign affairs, which may include work with national security, NGOs, local government, and humanitarian organizations. Although you will be assigned primarily public sector oriented work, we certainly encourage cross-disciplinary interaction and learning from your teammates in other offices!
This is a paid position based in Washington DC.
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of sales materials to deliver in support of the client engagement and education process.
- Leverage deep understanding of our data and how it is consumed in order to educate our clients on how they can best deploy our data to fit their needs.
- Support the sales team to discuss our data solutions, distill customer requirements, and consolidate customer feedback for product development.
- Mine our data for value by creating and publishing “insights” and other research-like analyses.
- Provide quantitative sales support, content and documentation generation as needed.
- At least one full-time year of undergraduate education with studies ranging from computer science, statistics, econometrics, international relations or other liberal arts.
- Knowledge, experience, or general interest in public sector issues and foreign affairs, which can include but may not be limited to the US government/defense industry, non-governmental organizations, local governments, and humanitarian initiatives.
- Applicants should have some familiarity with coding (Python, SQL, or R). However, most important is a willingness to pick up additional technical skills and contribute as a jack-of-all-trades.
- Strong verbal/writing skills and a willingness to ask questions. Most of us picked up skills while on the job, which was the result of a willingness to learn and push beyond comfort zones.
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta, Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.Apply Now