VP of Product & Design
If you had a ‘Macroscope’ that could survey the entire earth every day what would you look at with it? New construction in China? Fracking in Texas? Deforestation in Indonesia? New island construction in the South China Sea? When the US economy hits an inflection point in an economic cycle what moves first? New home sales? Mall shopping? Hours worked at the nation’s factories? What if you could see the entire earth every day and track all of these factors in near real time? What products would you build and who would you sell them to?
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to meet you — maybe you’ll become the head of our product management and design team. The Orbital Insight development teams work in cross-functional Agile teams, exploring how geospatial data, data science, AI/deep learning, computer vision, and intimacy with user needs can create entirely new products that give novel insights about what we are doing on and to the earth. Our pioneering products help people answer questions that cannot be answered today, from predicting deforestation to helping predict oil and stock prices.
We’re looking for a leader who is skilled at Product Management for agile development in a field that’s so new, it requires fearless application of creativity, ingenuity, and business judgement. You’ll be partnering with engineers, computer vision researchers, and data scientists to make a delightful and powerful product line even better.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
Some of the things you’ll do…
- Work directly with engineers, product managers, and customers, from beginning to end. There are no hand-offs here.
- Hire and build a great team, attracting & growing world-class talent.
- Define, implement, and coach our team on best practices and Lean Startup-style rapid learning. We’re looking to improve the practices of our design and development team. Where should we go next?
- Foster healthy PM & Design practice by giving and receiving feedback with maturity and perspective.
- Create experiences that feel simple and straightforward, even when the data is not.
- Turn complex and technical concepts into easy to understand data products and analyst tools.
- Lead our customer intimacy efforts, grow the PM function and clearly communicate our customers’ intent to everyone inside Orbital Insight.
- Chair our executives in the Product Steering Team to define, refine, and execute our product roadmap.
Who you are…
- Educated. Bachelors or higher degree in a technical field.
- Experienced. 5+ years of managing product managers, which should include work defining and improving PM practices, and customer discovery techniques such as Lean Startup.
- Design-savvy. Strong understanding of the design process and best practices, and proven ability to define and improve a team’s design practices.
- Performer. A rich portfolio of work delivering data products including via web apps, and a track record of delivering beloved, high-quality products to market.
- Domain. Experience with data products, software development and/or designing at-scale products and services.
- A true team player. Good at openly expressing your opinions, while actively seeking input on designs, decisions, and presenting your work.
- Prototyper. You have the ability to help your team learn rapidly, be it with paper, whiteboard, mockups, click-throughs, or just the written word.
- Results-Oriented. You work fast and generate a wide variety of high-quality solutions.
- Energy and Creativity. A passion for learning, sharing, and collaboration: new design tools and processes, new technical areas, better ways to get things done.
- You are a Recruiter! We are building a great company and, in this role, you will be asked to hire the best talent to help us achieve our important mission. Speaking of mission, read on…
Who we are…
Orbital Insight is a company on a mission: to help people understand what is happening on and to Earth, in order to accelerate economic, environmental, and humanitarian progress. We are a fast-growing provider of geospatial data and geo-analytic services to commercial, nonprofit and public-sector clients around the globe. Leveraging advancements in computer vision and cloud computing, Orbital Insight is turning millions of images into a big picture understanding of the world that is quantitatively grounded in observation, creating unprecedented transparency, and empowering global decision makers with new sources of objective, quantified socio-economic insights.
We are recognized world-wide for our innovations. Forbes named us a Next Billion Dollar Startup, and Fortune Magazine named us one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World, two years in a row, in two different categories. In order to see tiny details and yet work at Earth scale, we use computer vision and machine learning. Using convolutional neural networks, we have counted over 3 billion cars across global roads and parking lots, analyzing commercial patterns as well as city growth and development. Our global energy product uses computer vision to map floating roof oil tanks and measure the global volumes of crude oil. With this product, we were able to show that China has 200 million barrels of oil storage capacity that was unknown even to the trading community. Other projects include tracking rates of deforestation, measuring poverty levels around the globe, monitoring construction rates of new roads and buildings, and predicting crop yields. And this is just a part of our mission to understand what’s happening on and to the Earth.
We are backed by marquee investors such as Sequoia Capital, Google Ventures, In-Q-Tel, and Bloomberg Beta. Orbital Insight is rapidly expanding its commercial and public sector capabilities. Come join us if you are unafraid to try new approaches and relentlessly seek to push the state of the art, taking projects all the way from prototype to production-ready.
A few of our perks… (in addition to great colleagues on an important mission!)
● Stock Options
● Competitive salary
● Paid Time Off
● Medical, dental, and vision insurance
● Life & disability coverage
● 401(k) program
● Flexible Spending Accounts
● Apple equipment
● Twice a week catered lunches
● Stocked kitchen with healthy snacks, coffee, tea, etc
● Easy commute via nearby Caltrain station, and free commuter Go PassApply Now